Tuesday, May 22, 2012
8:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
Gem Theater in Detroit
Heroes at Sunrise, formerly Heroes Night, celebrates individuals, businesses and organizations whose community involvement and contributions have positively impacted the lives of children and families in Michigan. The honorees have demonstrated a genuine commitment to the welfare of the children of our state.
This year's event honored Heroes in High School Turnaround:
For Funder Leadership: The General Motors Foundation for their unprecedented $27 million investment in high school turnaround.
For Nonprofit Leadership: Mike Tenbusch - United Way for Southeastern Michigan
For School Leadership: The Cody and Osborn Small School Academy Principals
Heroes at Sunrise also provides a valuable opportunity to raise awareness of children’s issues within the business community and general public while raising funds to support the work of Michigan’s Children as the only statewide and independent voice in Michigan for children and families.
“Ensuring bright futures for Michigan’s children is a responsibility that expands beyond government and human service organizations. It is a role for everyone who cares about the future welfare of our state,” Mr. Kresnak said. “We invite everyone to join us in charting a course for change.”
Small School Academies on the Cody Campus
• Principal Johnathon Matthews, Academy of Public Leadership at Cody
• Principal Mary Kovari, Detroit Institute of Technology at Cody
• Principal Michelle Parker, Medicine and Community Health Academy at Cody
• Principal Charlene Mallory, Cody College Preparatory Upper School of Teaching and Learning
• Principal Lisa Robinson, Academy of Critical Thinkers at Cody
Small School Academies on the Osborn Campus
• Principal Calvin Patillo, Osborn College Preparatory Academy
• Principal Felicia Cook, Evergreen Academy of Alternative Energy and Design at Osborn
• Principal Tanya Bowman, Collegiate Academy of Mathematics, Science and Technology at Osborn
• Principal Antionette Pearson, Osborn Upper School of Global Communications and Culture
Special thanks to The Phillip Wm. Fisher Fund and the MGM Grand Casino.